Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Fat is the New Black or I Love You Jen Lancaster

My sister sent me a book recommendation recently for Jen Lancaster's Bright Lights Big Ass. I'm paraphrasing slightly but the jist of her email was "this bitch is hilarious, you have to read her". I was immediately suckered in by her awesome book titles which have to be the longest on earth:

Bright Lights, Big Ass: A Self-Indulgent, Surly, Ex-Sorority Girl's Guide to Why it Often Sucks in the City, or Who are These Idiots and Why Do They All Live Next Door to Me?

Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass,Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office

Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest To Discover if Her Life Makes Her Ass LookBig, Or Why Pie is Not The Answer

I just finished Such a Pretty Fat and it's the first book in a long time that I've laughed out loud frequently and annoyed my husband with "you gotta hear this...". Jen is an overweight writer who *loves* herself the way she is. While trying to write her third book she decides to make it another memoir and write about her quest to lose weight and become healthy. Her life in Chicago with her husband Fletch and their pack of dogs and cats is funny and entertaining. Jen's charm comes from laying everything out there on the line; nothing seems to embarrass her which is something I could really learn from. If you want a laugh out loud funny read check out one of these books. I'm off to Amazon to get the other two!

If you want a little taste of Jen's humor check out her blog Jennsylvania.

No comments: