- The main character Lilly loses her first childhood love, Jon at the age of 12. He drowns as the result of cruel words uttered by a hideous girl child called Peaches.
- Lilly tragically loses her mother to breast cancer and to cope with these two deaths walls herself off from the world and becomes a hermit with her grief stricken father who is unable to cope.
- Many years later, Lilly loses her husband Cam, a man she loved deeply, to a brain aneurysm.
- When she goes to Maine to scatter his ashes she discovers that Cam cheated on her with PEACHES and has a son with her!!!!
- At the end of the book Lilly dies. Seriously???
Sunday, August 3, 2008
I Hate You Anne Rivers Siddons
Years ago I read a book by Anne Rivers Siddons called Low Country that I really enjoyed. Somehow that lulled me into thinking that I might enjoy other books by Ms. Siddons. Boy was I wrong. I just finished Off Season and I feel like I just got bashed over the head. Off Season now ties with Dream When You're Feeling Blue by Elizabeth Berg as the most depressing book that I have ever read. Here's your spoiler warning. Stop reading now if you don't want to know what happens because all these spoilers are central to why I hated this book.